Herbal Sitz Bath = 10 cups of herbal healing power for speed of recovery and soothing of discomforts of the perineum area after giving birth AND / OR for those with irritated or damaged skin under the pelvic or bottom area (including the anus, vagina or scrotum) - A plant combination for wound and ANTI INFLAMMATORY support of episiotomy/tears/swelling/bruising and hematomas/hemorroids/anal fistulas.
A herbal sitz bath is often recommended for people who have irritation to their perineal or bottom area (area between the legs, including the anus, vagina or scrotum).
A sitz bath
- cleanses and permits herbal therapy application
- reduces the chances of infection
- soothes the skin (usually helps you feel more comfortable)
- increases blood circulation to the area to help with healing
- calms inflammation
- speeds healing and recovery
Herbal Sitz Bath Formula
Our Farmed Calendula, Wild Yarrow, Our farmed Comfrey Leaf, Organic Uva Ursi Leaf & Shepherd's Purse.
10 cups - Enough for 20 Plastic sitz bath applications on toilet
OR - 10 bath applications
There are 2 ways you can take a sitz bath. You may use:
- A plastic sitz bath that fits onto your toilet.
- Your bathtub at home. (if using a bath format use 1 full cup of herbals in about 5 to 6" of bath water)
Plastic reusable sitz baths are available at your local drug store & are a very handy appliance to have in case it is ever needed in the home at a moments notice.
Using a plastic sitz bath on the toilet
1. Rinse the sitz bath to remove any soap or salt residue.
2. Lift the toilet seat and put the plastic sitz bath in the toilet bowl like in the picture.
3. Fill the plastic sitz bath two-thirds (2/3) full with warm water, not hot water.
The water temperature should be 37 degrees Celsius to 39 degrees Celsius or 99 degrees Farhenheit to 102 degrees Farhenheit. If the water feels too warm on your wrist, it is too hot to sit in.
4. Add ½ cup of herbals to the water in the plastic sitz bath. Swirl the water until the herbals are all moistened.
5. Carefully sit down in the plastic sitz bath and soak your bottom area for 10 to 20 minutes. As you sit down, the extra water will spill into the toilet through the openings in the plastic sitz bath.
6. When finished, dry your bottom by patting the area with a clean lint-free towel. Another way to dry the area is to use a blow dryer set on low or use a hand-held fan. You could also lie down and rest as your bottom area dries.
7. Dump contents of the herbal sitz bath & flush.
8. Try and leave your bottom open to the air as much as possible. Use cotton underwear with no elastic along the leg holes. Oversized boxer shorts are great.
9. Clean the plastic sitz bath each time you use it.
Using your bathtub at home
1. Rinse the bathtub before using to remove any soap or residue & close drain & use a drain strainer to catch herbs from going down drain when your empty tub.
2. Fill the bathtub with enough warm water to cover your thighs, or about 5 inches (13 centimetres) deep.
3. The temperature of the water should be warm, not hot—about 37 degrees Celsius to 39 degrees Celsius, or 99 degrees Fahrenheit to 102 degrees Fahrenheit. If the water feels too warm on your wrist, it is too hot to sit in. 4. Add 1 cupof herbals to the bath water. Swirl the water until the herbals are moistened.
5. Carefully enter the bath, sit down and soak your bottom area for 10 to 15 minutes. Lean backwards in the tub, rather than sitting directly on your bottom, so the herbal infused water can reach the whole area.
6. When finished get out of the bath and dry your bottom by patting the area with a clean, lint-free towel. Another way to dry the area is to use a blow dryer set on low or use a hand-held fan. You could also lie down and rest until your bottom area dries.
8. Empty tub water but have a drain strainer in place to cath herbs and stop them from goinf down tub drain.
8. Try and leave your bottom open to the air as much as possible. Use cotton underwear with no elastic along the leg holes. Oversized boxer shorts are great. 8. Clean the bathtub after each use.
For MORE Post Partum Care also see our:
For Hemorrhoid/Anal Fistula care see our:
Herbal Sitz Bath - Relief for Post Partum, Hemorroid, or Fistula
All information on this page is meant for educational and informational purposes only. Recomendations are not intended or implied. The statements on this site have not been evaluated by any regulating body. Products and/or information/posts/ are not intended to diagnose, cure, treat, or prevent any disease. Herbals are foods with traditional cultural ancestral & spiritual uses. Readers are advised to do their own research and make decisions based on their personal needs. If you are pregnant, nursing, have a medical condition or are taking any medication, please take note of any contraindications listed on this page.
Please see formal Disclaimer.