"All through time, humans have used smoke of medicinal plants to cure illness," ** It has been used in sickrooms for thousands of years well before science proved it's efficiency..
The practice of smudging is an ancient one, but it has never gone away. People all over the world (over five continents, according to the study) still burn white sage and other herbs, usually for spiritual purposes like "energetic cleansing," or to call on the energetic properties of a given plant.
"Advantages of smoke-based remedies are rapid delivery to the brain, more efficient absorption by the body and lower costs of production.”
"The Study drew on research from 50 countries around the globe and found that according to various human medicinal practices dating back to ancient civilization, “inhalation of smoke is typically used in the treatment of pulmonary and neurological disorders and directed smoke in localized situations, such as dermatological and genito-urinary disorders.” However, the key finding was that in those traditions, “ambient smoke is not directed at the body at all but used as an air purifier.”
How Burning Herbs Cleanse Your Space - No, Really. They Can Kill Bacteria - https://bit.ly/3gbjezG
How to conduct a cleansing / smudging ritual with Abalone shells..
Firstly, you’ll need smudging sticks or herbs, and an Abalone shell. The variety of herbs you might use for smudging all have different energies, for example, lavender promotes calming, white sage releases and clears energy, and mugwort stimulates dreams...palo santo centers and clarifies thinking...
You may wish to use a layer of sand inside the Abalone shell to protect the natural shine that it has, from any smoke or embers and to use to extinguish your smudge wand into.
- Using a match, light your Herbs like White Sage or Palo Santo smudging sticks
- Rest the sticks or herbs in the abalone shell, using it to collect any ashes or embers as the sticks or herbs burn
- To bless / cleanse a person or indoor space, use a feather or your hand to brush the smoke around
- You may wish to walk around a space with the sticks or herbs, allowing the smoke to waft into the corners and ceilings
- Abalone shells have holes in them, so ensure any hot embers don’t fall through onto flammable materials such as carpet or bed linens
- If the smudging sticks have been resting in the abalone shell for awhile, the shell may get hot, so use caution when handling it
- Practice caution when using lit materials.